Let each generation tell its children of your mighty acts; let them proclaim your power.- Psalm 145:4

Monday, October 15, 2012

Why "The One True Story"?



I read this book awhile back.  It's about how to apply the gospel to our everyday parenting.  In the book, the authors talk about their parenting policy concerning the movies and books their children watch and read.  In a quote, the Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson write:

Our hope is that if we have taught them how to discern the one good story and judge every other story by it, they'll be better equipped to answer the wicked Imposter's lies when they hear them.

The one good story.  It made an impression on me.  That old, old story I heard about in hymns growing up.  I decided to refer to it as The One True Story.  The message of the gospel of Christ in the Bible is the truth to judge every other story by.  It is the plumb-line.  It is the compass.  It is the mirror.  It is the divider of thoughts and intents.  It is the One True Story.

When I first set out to write this blog, I decided upon a title My145:4 after Psalm 145:4.  But the more I've thought about getting over here to get this thing going I've had "The One True Story" come to mind.  So, The One True Story- A re-telling of the Bible for my children it is.

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it  and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.- 2 Timothy 3:14-17

And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.- Luke 24:27





No comments:

Post a Comment